IT Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome, also known as IT band syndrome, occurs when the IT band becomes irritated by the outside part of the knee. The IT band travels from the crest of the hip down to the outside part of the knee, and assists in different movements of the hip and knee. When the lower leg is flexed and extended, the IT band moves over a bony bump on the outside part of the knee, and it can cause the band to be irritated. This most commonly occurs after repetitive movements, like running or biking.
Common symptoms of IT band syndrome include pain on the outside of the knee when running, biking or walking up/down stairs, a popping or snapping sensation on the outside of the knee, pain radiating up the outside part of the thigh.
The Chiropractors at Mountainview Chiropractic Center will assess the knee as well as the surrounding structures to determine the appropriate treatment protocol for the patient.
The practitioners treat IT band syndrome by:
- Chiropractic adjustments to restore normal joint motion
- Myofascial release to release adhesions in damaged tissue and take stress off the knee joint
- Rehabilitation exercises to strengthen the entire lower half of the body
- Stretching exercises to provide mobility to the lower half of the body
- Education to discuss the importance of self-myofascial release
We have a history of treating patients with knee very effectively!
We would love to help you reduce your knee pain!