The intervertebral discs are structures that are between the vertebrae of the bones in your spine. You can think of the discs as water balloon-like, where they provide cushion to your spine. The discs are made of a gel-like center, surrounded by strong rings of fibrous tissue. Injuries to the discs are common reasons to have significant and debilitating back pain. As pressure is put on the disc the fluid inside the disc moves from one side to the other, just like when you squeeze a water balloon. In a healthy disc, they can survive these pressures and return back to normal. Sometimes, these forces can become too much and that’s when problems occur.
Common symptoms of a disc herniation are debilitating neck pain that travels into the shoulder and arm, muscle weakness, and loss of sensation.
The Chiropractors at Mountainview Chiropractic Center will assess the injured area to provide the patient with the appropriate treatment protocol.
The practitioners will commonly treat disc herniation by:
- Chiropractic adjustments to help restore healthy joint motion
- Myofascial release to the affected soft tissues
- Movement-based assessment to find a directional preference
- Posture advice to limit postural stressors
- Stretching to mobilize tissues
- Exercises to provide stability to the area of injury
We have a history of treating patients with disc herniations very effectively!
We would love to help you return to performing the activities you love!