Osgood-Schlatter disease is a condition that affects the knees of adolescents. As our bodies develop and grow, so does our skeletal system. In order for this to happen, there are things in bones called growth plates, which allow the bones to continue to grow and support our developing bodies. In the case of Osgood-Schlatter Disease, the patellar tendon pulls on the tibial tuberosity (the bump just underneath the knee cap), which is near one of these growth plates. This can lead to inflammation of the growth plate just behind this tuberosity.
Common symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease include pain around the front of the knee with activity, aching pain in the front of the knee after activity, tenderness around the tibial tuberosity, swelling and redness around the tibial tuberosity.
The Chiropractors at Mountainview Chiropractic Center will assess the knee as well as the surrounding structures to determine the appropriate treatment protocol for the patient.
The practitioners treat Osgood-Schlatter disease by:
- Chiropractic adjustments to restore normal joint motion
- Myofascial release to release adhesions in damaged tissue and take stress off the knee joint
- Rehabilitation exercises to strengthen the entire lower half of the body
- Stretching exercises to provide mobility to the lower half of the body
- Education to discuss the importance of self-myofascial release
We have a history of treating patients with knee very effectively!
We would love to help you reduce your knee pain!